Monday, November 20, 2006

Some Actual Finished Items

I actually have some finished projects to show off today!!! But I am going to save them for the end of the post.

First up, I am getting a new front porch. I live in a house that was built between 1925 and 1926 and the front porch for the most part is still the original. There have been a few patches, mainly at the one end, over the years but it really needed to be replaced. So the guys started tearing out the old one Thursday. And for the most part, the framing was still in great shape. But because we are replacing it with Trex decking instead of wood, the entire frame has to be pulled out. I did find some one who was willing to come and pick up and reuse the wood that was still in god shape. So parts of the framing will have a new life as shelves somewhere.

And on Saturday, I met blogless Lee at All About Yarn in Columbia. I picked the shop because they had the sock yarn that I was looking for - more Colortweed. It was really nice meeting Lee and hopefully at some point she will join us in the blog world. And of course, I was not able to leave a yarn shop without purchasing more sock yarn and some patterns. I will definitely be going back to this shop. And Mapquest lied!!! It said it would take me about an hour to get there and I was there in about 40 minutes. And that included taking the wrong exit because I was talking on the phone. But luckily I got off on 108 West instead of East so all I had to do was turn around at a traffic light.

When I got back home, I went to both of my LYSs and sat and stitched for awhile.

I spent most of Sunday in class. We are almost done. We are off all of next week which will be nice. But I did get to take some photos at the training center in Carroll County of the fire 1 students. It seems like it was a long time ago when I was one.

And now to the finished items! There is a hat, a scarf, and one sock. Not bad for one week. The scarf is in Grande from Schulana (Skacel). It is for a friend's daughter for Christmas. The hat is in pink and white Dale of Norway's Free Style and that is for my chief's oldest daughter. I am making her baby sister the same hat using a super wash merino in pale pink and bright pink. (I don't have the yarn label with me but it is a different yarn.) The pattern is the Gaugeless Hat from Cabin Fever.

The lone sock is in Meilenweit Inca. I liked the color in the skein but not as I knit it up. One of the other females in my fire officer class loved it. So the socks will be her's. I need to get the mate down before the end of class. Although she will be taking the the next 2 classes in the series with me.

I am thinking of trying Wool-in-the-Woods Cherub to knit socks with. The studio is a little bit north of me and I called up there Friday. The woman I talked to is the girlfriend of the guy who is replacing my porch. He asked me this morning if I had called up there Friday and when I told him yes, he told me that his girlfriend has sent me some yarn!!! She sent me some Cherub from her personal stash to try it out and see if it will work for socks. And just from looking at it, I can see that it will. Being the really nice person, I am sending her back some hand-dyed yarn for felting since that is what she is into at the moment. (To see a photo of the Cherub, click on over to Flickr since Blogger won't let me upload any more pictures into this post.)

3 Comments:

At 4:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, to think I hadn't even heard of ColorTweed!!! I googled it, I like it... might just have to get ahold of some soon. ;)

Good luck with the front porch!

 
At 8:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Mia!
I like the sock you are gifting. Did you not like the way it striped?

I just wanted to check and see if you received the e-mail I sent you last week - I am your KMKS pal and I hadn't heard back from you - so I just wanted to check!!

Hope you have a better week health-wise.
Guess me!

 
At 7:38 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Cute hat and I love that sock!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home