Tuesday, November 21, 2006

Thanksgiving Favorites

Yesterday, Georgia, aka Yarn Pirate, wanted to know what was everyone's favorite dish to eat at Thanksgiving. I am like many in that I like the green bean casserole recipe except that I add shoyu (soy sauce) and extra onions to my casserole.

But one recipe that I have to make and than eat is an oatmeal pie. Yes, it sounds strange but the easiest way to explain it is that it is a southern thing. I have searched for recipes for it on the web and everything points to the recipe being a southern thing. Actually, to be more specific, it is a Kentucky thing. Please do not turn up your nose at the pie but give it a try. I hope you like it.

Oatmeal Pie

This sounds strange but it is really tasty. It is a kind of like a mock pecan pie. This recipe was given to my mother when we lived in the Canal Zone in Panama, The person who gave us this recipe was the base chaplain's wife and they were originally from Kentucky. I have never seen this anywhere else. It is apparently a Southern thing!

4 eggs
2 cups sugar
1-1/2 cups dark corn syrup
1 stick softened butter
1-1/2 cups oatmeal
1 cup flaked coconut
1 teaspoon vanilla
pinch of salt
1 cup milk
2 unbaked 9-inch pie shells

Combine all ingredients, except the pie shells, and mix well. Pour the mixture into the unbaked pie shells and bake fore about 45 minutes in a 350o (F) oven or until lightly browned. Cool before serving.

5 Comments:

At 10:25 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that sounds pretty yummy!

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow, I have never seen that before! But I love pecan pie, so it sounds like it's worth a try. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

 
At 7:43 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sounds tasty. I like Pecan pie, except for the pecans, so I can't wait to try this one.. Thanks for sharing!

 
At 10:38 PM, Blogger Kitty Kitty said...

For all those who wonder, Mia sent me the receipe and I made it for Thanksgiving. It was amazingly good. (Though I am a southerner.) Thanks again for the receipe.

Hope you had a great Thanksgiving.

 
At 2:36 PM, Blogger alltangledup said...

i love sour cream apple pie and sage and onion stuffing. Now I know the stuffing isn't exactly a dish, but it's really good, especially if made with corn bread.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home