Monday, October 09, 2006

Socktofest History Questions


For Socktoberfest, Lolly has asked that we all answer some questions about our sock knitting. And better late than never.

~ When did you start making socks? I honestly do not remember when I made my first sock. But I still have it!!!!
~ Did you teach yourself or were you taught by a friend or relative? or in a class? I do know that I taught myself.
~ What was your first pair? See the photo and you will understand what my first pair looked like and why I never wore them. (The first sock is the blue-y blob)
~ How have they "held up" over time? Yeah but I never wore them because they did not fit.
~ What would you have done differently? Nothing. You learn from your mistakes and never hope to repeat them.
~ What yarns have you particularly enjoyed? My all time favorites are Claudia's Hand Paints, Fleece Artist, Dani's Sunshine Yarns, and Sundara sock yarns.
~ Do you like to crochet your socks? Crochet is a dirty word to me. I do know how to crochet but I can't read a crochet pattern.
~ Or knit them on DPNs, 2 circulars, or using the Magic Loop method? I have been known to use both DPNs and 2 circulars. It all depends on the pattern and I am planning on carrying the socks with me to meetings and classes. Classes and meetings means that I use 2 circulars and a fairly simple pattern.
~ Which kind of heel do you prefer? (flap? or short-row?) Since I almost always do a toe up pattern or convert my pattern to a toe up, I use a short row heel. I really do need to try some other methods.
~ How many pairs have you made? No clue. My hand knit socks seem to have little minds of their own and some how show up on either my mother's feet or my niece's. The problem socks seem to have a common color in that they are purple. So no more purple socks. But I do have a pair that is should be finished tonight out of Sundara in the Fruit Punch colorway. Thank you Pris for sending me the wonderful yarn.

And I have another sock almost finished. When I did Sock-a-pooolza, I loved the pattern that I made so much that I made it 3 times (twice using the same yarn,) (And no photos since I believe that my niece now has them. My mother says that she doesn't have them. And yes, the yarn was purple.) I used the Simply Lovely pattern from the Spring 2006 issue of IK. I am just about to bind off my 5th sock using the pattern in a color way called Pink Cloud from Claudia's Hand Painted Yarns. I do think that this will be the last time I knit this paattern for a while though.

And I do have at leat 2 other socks on the needles. Photos soon.

And I should explain that I do give my mother the socks but my niece likes to help herself to my books and my socks. Although she does call me and tell me later that she borrowed them. Like I am ever going to see them back.... A 10 year girl with great taste. And no I honestly do not mind her taking the socks I just wish she would let me know and I would gladly knit her a pair that fits her foot. Her foot is smaller than mine right now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home